To say I wait for each new Royal Fern launch with bated breath, would be quite the understatement. The dermatologist-founded brand from Germany is wrapping this year on a glowing note with the drop of a new serum that tackles a wide range of skin imperfections. Hello there, Purifying Solution. A slight departure from their laser-sharp focus on anti-aging, the newness promises to address our non-gravity dependent concerns like uneven skin tone, enlarged pores, excessive oiliness, and breakouts. My congestion-prone combination skin has never been happier.
What is it?
Purifying Solution is an excellent daily treatment serum for anyone with oily, combination or normal skin. Or, for those who struggle with stubborn whiteheads and blackheads. The new serum is quite viscous but absorbs quickly and delivers instant hydration in addition to a number of treatment benefits. Because of its user friendliness, it slots seamlessly into your AM or PM routine. Curious about formulas layering over it? With regard to sunscreen, richer creams, or oils, I haven’t experienced any pilling.
What’s in it?
For clarity, I’m going to use bullet points to list the key ingredients. I think this is one of the best everyday formulas for preventing breakouts and fighting post-acne imperfections.
- Glycerin – instant hydration
- Hyaluronic Acid – long lasting hydration
- White Willow Bark Extract – a very gentle form of Salicylic Acid that exfoliates deep within the pore, calming, soothing, pore refining
- Tranexamic Acid – brightening agent, fights UV damage related hyperpigmentation
- Acerola Cherry Extract (Malpighia Punicifolia) – rich in Vitamin C skin brightening botanical
- Fern Extract – antioxidant rich compound to counteract oxidative stress and photoaging due to UV damage
- Sea Buckthorn Extract (Hippophae Rhamnoides) – balancing and soothing
- Zinc PCA – anti-inflammatory and redness reducing
- Monk Pepper Extract (Vitex Agnus Castus) – antimicrobial aka acne-fighting properties
- No added fragrance – great news for those with reactive skin types
How & When
The versatility of Royal Fern’s Purifying Solution allows you to incorporate it as a treatment step whenever you see fit in your skincare routine. If you’re looking to take full advantage of its oil controlling powers, apply a few drops underneath your favorite oil-free sunscreen in the morning. And if you’d like to harness the brightening effect, mix it with your favorite face oil when you’re ready for bed. Since receiving my bottle, I’ve been diligently including it in my routine. I prefer using it in the morning, but only slightly. With that said, I’ve also mixed it with some Phytoactive Firming Serum under my favorite Royal Fern moisturizer at night. If you’re an ampoule user (and Dr Timm Golueke has some fantastic ones), apply the ampoule before your serum. Cleanser – essence – ampoule – serum – moisturizer/sunscreen. This launch is a winner.